Garlic shrimp tostones is a popular dish that typically consists of sautéed shrimp, garlic, butter, and lemon juice. It is often seasoned with salt, pepper, and parsley, and sometimes chili flakes or paprika are added for extra flavor. Garlic shrimp tostones can be served as an appetizer or as a main course, often accompanied by rice or crusty bread. You can make this flavorful dish and serve it as an appetizer with our savory Prime Planet tostones, which provide the health benefits of plantains while also being ideal gluten-free diet snacks.
Below, we provide all the information you need so that you can make some mouthwatering Prime Planet Garlic Shrimp Tostones in the comfort of your home.
First, he is some basic information you’ll want to know about this dish:
Estimated cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 3 minutes
Fat Content: 31 grams
Recipe yield: 15 servings
How to Make Loaded Tostones With Garlic Shrimp
Most often, garlic shrimp is consumed in Spanish-speaking Caribbean countries such as Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Panama, and others. But even though that is where they are frequently consumed, that doesn’t mean you can’t make your own delectable garlic shrimp tostones with Prime Planet Lime Tostones, or you can use any of our other scrumptious flavors.
Below is all you need to know to make the garlic shrimp toppings to go on your Prime Planet Garlic Shrimp Loaded Tostones.
Gather the necessary tools, which include:
- A skillet or saucepan
- Measuring spoons
- A spatula
- A dish to hold the shrimp during preparation
- A mixing bowl
- A blender or food processor
- A knife
- A spoon
- A serving plate
The ingredients needed consist of the following:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil (you will use this to prepare the shrimp, and you will separately use olive oil to prepare the sauce)
- 1 chopped large yellow onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 4 to 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 jar of tomato paste (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound of shrimp
- Prime Planet tostones
After gathering the above, follow the recipe below. You can tweak the recipe to your liking, such as adding more salt or pepper. Just remember, it’s easier to add extra spices later and much more difficult to remove excess spice.
To prepare the shrimp:
- You can use precooked shrimp if it is easier. Keep in mind that using freshly cooked and prepared shrimp will add a fresher flavor that will pair well with your Prime Planet Tostones.
- To cook the shrimp, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil to your skillet or saucepan and place it on a stove burner set to medium heat.
- Once the oil is heated, carefully add the shrimp to the pan. Make sure no shrimp is touching another and that each piece of shrimp is lying flat on its side so that they will cook evenly.
- When the shrimp has turned from gray to orange, use your spatula to flip each piece of shrimp and cook these until they turn color.
- After the shrimp are fully cooked, put these on a dish and place them to the side.
To prepare the sauce:
- Chop the yellow onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper and place these in the mixing bowl.
- Mince the garlic and place it to the side.
- Using the same skillet or a clean one, Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil to your skillet or saucepan and place it on a stove burner set to medium heat. If using the same skillet, first drain any remaining oil from it.
- Once the oil is heated, carefully add the chopped onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper into the skillet, and sauté until the vegetables are softened, and the onion is translucent. This should take about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- (Optional) If using tomato paste, add it to the mixture and stir until well combined with the vegetables.
- Remove from the heat and allow the cooked vegetables to cool.
- Once cooled, transfer the vegetable mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If you prefer, you can leave it chunky for a more rustic texture.
- Lay your flavorful Prime Planet Tostones on a serving platter, and spoon some of the garlicky vegetable mixture onto each chip.
- Carefully place one piece of shrimp on top of each Prime Planet Tostone and garlicky vegetable mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. If you are not serving this promptly, do not add the vegetable mixture or shrimp to the tostones. Instead, you can store the mixture and the cooked shrimp in the refrigerator or freezer. When you are ready to use this, reheat the mixture and then add this on top of your Prime Planet Tostones.
You’ll make this dish and realize how great these Garlic Shrimp Prime Planet Loaded Tostones, made with our perfect lime tostones, taste. Then you’ll want to try preparing it again with any other flavor of our tostones plantain chips.
For something tangy with a spicy kick, use our Prime Planet Sweet Chili Plantain Chips. If you want to turn up the heat, our Habanero Plantain Chips will do the trick. No matter which flavor of tostones you choose, you can’t go wrong!
How to Make Garlic Shrimp Dip
Another serving suggestion is to make your garlic vegetable mixture with shrimp and serve it as a dip. Instead of keeping the vegetable mixture and shrimp separate, blend the vegetables slightly, but keep the mixture slightly chunky. Then add your cooked shrimp to the food processor and blend it into the mixture. Place the mixture into a bowl, and place it onto a serving platter. Carefully place some delectable Prime Planet Tostones around the edges of the platter. You can even use two flavors of tostones, simply keeping one flavor on one side of the platter and the other flavored chips on the other.
More About Prime Planet
Other than giving you creative ways to enjoy shrimp tostones and shrimp and plantains, Prime Planet is here to make sure that you have access to some of the best plantain chips available. Are plantains chips gluten-free? They sure are! They’re an easy way to add an extra kick to your pantry and even your dinner table. Email us today to learn more about what we can offer you.