Sancocho is a traditional soup/stew that originated in Latin America, particularly in countries like Colombia, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. It typically consists of slow-cooked meat (such as beef, chicken, or fish), vegetables (like plantains, cassava, and corn), and various herbs and spices. The dish is often served with rice, avocado, and aji (spicy salsa). Sancocho is a hearty and flavorful meal that is commonly enjoyed during special occasions and gatherings with friends and family. Its popularity has also spread to other parts of the world, where variations of the dish are now enjoyed. One of the best parts of this dish is the fact that it is quite versatile and could be used to enjoy a variety of different ingredients in one. To learn about a sancocho recipe with tostones plantain chips, continue reading below.
Like any other kind of dish, sancocho is usually only as good as the ingredients that you use to make it. The good news is that sancocho ingredients are incredibly versatile, but the most common ingredients include the following:
- Any kind of meat or protein (Beef, chicken, fish, or pork).
- A collection of starchy vegetables (Cassava (yucca), green plantains, and corn are essential ingredients in most Sancocho recipes.) While you do not have to use all of these vegetables, Prime Planet Tostones recommends that you do.
- Aromatics like onions, garlic, cilantro, and scallions.
- Herbs and spices like cumin, oregano, bay leaves, and salt.
- Non-starchy vegetables like carrots, tomatoes, squash, and celery.
- Garnishes like avocado, spicy salsa, lime juice, and rice,
- A collection of flavored Prime Planet Tostones plantain chips like our lime tostones.
Sancocho Soup Recipe: Preparation
Once you have all the proper ingredients ready and in line to cook be sure to follow this step-by-step guide for the best-tasting sancocho:
- In a large pot, add the protein, herbs, aromatics, and non-starchy vegetables. Add enough water to cover the ingredients by a few inches.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour or until the protein you have chosen is tender.
- Add the starchy vegetables and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the green plantains and corn and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Once done, serve with a side of our gluten-free diet snacks to serve as a dip.
More About Prime Planet Tostones
We do much more than give an easy sancocho recipe. We are an experienced purveyor of tostones snacks that is dedicated to helping our customers get the highest quality plantain snack available. Whether you’re craving a savory treat for yourself or need a crowd-pleasing appetizer for your next gathering, our tostones are the perfect choice. Made with premium plantains and fried to perfection, our tostones are sure to satisfy your taste buds. Order now and enjoy the authentic flavor of the Caribbean delivered straight to your doorstep. Our full collection of products includes:
- Original Plantain Chips
- Lime Plantain Chips
- Sweet Chili Plantain Chips
- BBQ Plantain Chips,
- And Habanero Plantain Chips