Jollof risotto is a fusion dish that combines two popular African and Italian rice dishes. It is made by cooking Arborio rice in a flavorful tomato-based sauce infused with spices commonly used in African cuisines, such as cumin, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. The dish is usually served with vegetables and protein such as chicken, shrimp, or sausage. Jollof risotto is a flavorful and unique way to enjoy the rich and aromatic flavors of African and Italian cuisines in one dish. If you would like to prepare this delicious dish with a special twist, then adding gluten-free diet snacks like tostones is an excellent choice. To learn more about the Jollof Risotto with African Shrimp Recipe, continue reading below.
Spicy Shrimp Risotto Recipe Ingredients
Since the basis of any good recipe is the ingredients that you use to make it, it is important to gather the right ones. You could see the ingredients to purchase below:
- 1 pound of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- 1 1/2 cups of Arborio rice.
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth.
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine.
- 1 small onion, chopped.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano.
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons of butter.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- lime tostones or whatever tostones are to your liking.
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional).
Jollof Recipe: Cooking Instructions
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in cold water for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, then drain and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the tomatoes, onion, red and green bell peppers, garlic, and ginger until smooth.
- Heat the oil or butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the pureed tomato mixture and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and the liquid evaporates.
- Add the tomato paste, smoked paprika, curry powder, dried thyme, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth to the pot and bring it to a boil. Stir in the rice and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes.
Once the jollof is ready, you could make the spicy shrimp to complete the dish. To cook the shrimp, follow these instructions:
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink and start to curl.
- Add the spice mixture to the skillet and toss the shrimp to coat evenly.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from heat and sprinkle fresh cilantro or parsley over the top.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges on the side.
You could personalize this African shrimp recipe to cater to whatever amount of spicy that you crave and whatever matches best with your plantain chips.
More About Prime Planet Tostones
Other than giving good jollof rice recipes and African shrimp recipes, Prime Planet is dedicated to giving our customers a high-quality selection of tostones to choose from. These include original tostones plantain chips, lime plantain chips, sweet chili plantain chips, BBQ plantain chips, and habanero plantain chips. Give us a call today to learn more about what our business could offer you.